Subject: [PATCH 24/49] net: phy: Check harder for errors in get_phy_id()

From: Florian Fainelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 11:47:47 -0700

[ Upstream commit b2ffc75e2e990b09903f9d15ccd53bc5f3a4217c ]

Commit 02a6efcab675 ("net: phy: allow scanning busses with missing
phys") added a special condition to return -ENODEV in case -ENODEV or
-EIO was returned from the first read of the MII_PHYSID1 register.

In case the MDIO bus data line pull-up is not strong enough, the MDIO
bus controller will not flag this as a read error. This can happen when
a pluggable daughter card is not connected and weak internal pull-ups
are used (since that is the only option, otherwise the pins are
floating).

The second read of MII_PHYSID2 will be correctly flagged an error
though, but now we will return -EIO which will be treated as a hard
error, thus preventing MDIO bus scanning loops to continue succesfully.

Apply the same logic to both register reads, thus allowing the scanning
logic to proceed.

Fixes: 02a6efcab675 ("net: phy: allow scanning busses with missing phys")
Reviewed-by: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Florian Fainelli <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <[email-masked]>
---
 drivers/net/phy/phy_device.c | 6 ++++--
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/drivers/net/phy/phy_device.c b/drivers/net/phy/phy_device.c
index 697c74deb222..0881b4b92363 100644
--- a/drivers/net/phy/phy_device.c
+++ b/drivers/net/phy/phy_device.c
@@ -798,8 +798,10 @@ static int get_phy_id(struct mii_bus *bus, int addr, u32 *phy_id,
 
 	/* Grab the bits from PHYIR2, and put them in the lower half */
 	phy_reg = mdiobus_read(bus, addr, MII_PHYSID2);
-	if (phy_reg < 0)
-		return -EIO;
+	if (phy_reg < 0) {
+		/* returning -ENODEV doesn't stop bus scanning */
+		return (phy_reg == -EIO || phy_reg == -ENODEV) ? -ENODEV : -EIO;
+	}
 
 	*phy_id |= phy_reg;
 
-- 
2.26.2