Subject: [PATCH 02/24] devlink: report 0 after hitting end in region read

From: Jacob Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2020 15:59:50 -0800

[ Upstream commit d5b90e99e1d51b7b5d2b74fbc4c2db236a510913 ]

commit fdd41ec21e15 ("devlink: Return right error code in case of errors
for region read") modified the region read code to report errors
properly in unexpected cases.

In the case where the start_offset and ret_offset match, it unilaterally
converted this into an error. This causes an issue for the "dump"
version of the command. In this case, the devlink region dump will
always report an invalid argument:

000000000000ffd0 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
000000000000ffe0 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
devlink answers: Invalid argument
000000000000fff0 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff

This occurs because the expected flow for the dump is to return 0 after
there is no further data.

The simplest fix would be to stop converting the error code to -EINVAL
if start_offset == ret_offset. However, avoid unnecessary work by
checking for when start_offset is larger than the region size and
returning 0 upfront.

Fixes: fdd41ec21e15 ("devlink: Return right error code in case of errors for region read")
Signed-off-by: Jacob Keller <[email-masked]>
Acked-by: Jiri Pirko <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <[email-masked]>
---
 net/core/devlink.c | 6 ++++++
 1 file changed, 6 insertions(+)

diff --git a/net/core/devlink.c b/net/core/devlink.c
index ae614965c8c2..61bc67047f56 100644
--- a/net/core/devlink.c
+++ b/net/core/devlink.c
@@ -3863,6 +3863,12 @@ static int devlink_nl_cmd_region_read_dumpit(struct sk_buff *skb,
 		goto out_unlock;
 	}
 
+	/* return 0 if there is no further data to read */
+	if (start_offset >= region->size) {
+		err = 0;
+		goto out_unlock;
+	}
+
 	hdr = genlmsg_put(skb, NETLINK_CB(cb->skb).portid, cb->nlh->nlmsg_seq,
 			  &devlink_nl_family, NLM_F_ACK | NLM_F_MULTI,
 			  DEVLINK_CMD_REGION_READ);
-- 
2.21.1