Subject: + selftests-vm-hmm-tests-remove-the-libhugetlbfs-dependency-fix.patch added to -mm tree
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2020 18:00:54 -0700

The patch titled
     Subject: selftests/vm: fix an improper dependency upon executable script permissions
has been added to the -mm tree.  Its filename is
     selftests-vm-hmm-tests-remove-the-libhugetlbfs-dependency-fix.patch

This patch should soon appear at
    https://ozlabs.org/~akpm/mmots/broken-out/selftests-vm-hmm-tests-remove-the-libhugetlbfs-dependency-fix.patch
and later at
    https://ozlabs.org/~akpm/mmotm/broken-out/selftests-vm-hmm-tests-remove-the-libhugetlbfs-dependency-fix.patch

Before you just go and hit "reply", please:
   a) Consider who else should be cc'ed
   b) Prefer to cc a suitable mailing list as well
   c) Ideally: find the original patch on the mailing list and do a
      reply-to-all to that, adding suitable additional cc's

*** Remember to use Documentation/process/submit-checklist.rst when testing your code ***

The -mm tree is included into linux-next and is updated
there every 3-4 working days

------------------------------------------------------
From: John Hubbard <[email-masked]>
Subject: selftests/vm: fix an improper dependency upon executable script permissions

commit 30fb9454ab23 ("selftests/vm: hmm-tests: remove the libhugetlbfs
dependency") created the new check_config.sh file without the execute bit
set.  This is a problem because that same commit caused the Makefile to
invoke it "./check_config.sh", so now "make" is failing in that directory.

Scripts are not supposed to depend on the executable bit being set,
because patch(1) doesn't set it, and using patch to install a kernel is
supported.  Therefore, this fix involves two parts:

1) Invoke the new script via /bin/sh, to fix the problem, and

2) As an nice touch, make check_config.sh executable as well.

Link: https://lkml.kernel.org/r/[email-masked]
Fixes: commit 30fb9454ab23 ("selftests/vm: hmm-tests: remove the libhugetlbfs dependency")
Signed-off-by: John Hubbard <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <[email-masked]>
---

 tools/testing/selftests/vm/Makefile |    2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

--- a/tools/testing/selftests/vm/Makefile~selftests-vm-hmm-tests-remove-the-libhugetlbfs-dependency-fix
+++ a/tools/testing/selftests/vm/Makefile
@@ -138,7 +138,7 @@ $(OUTPUT)/hmm-tests: local_config.h
 $(OUTPUT)/hmm-tests: LDLIBS += $(HMM_EXTRA_LIBS)
 
 local_config.mk local_config.h: check_config.sh
-	./check_config.sh $(CC)
+	/bin/sh ./check_config.sh $(CC)
 
 EXTRA_CLEAN += local_config.mk local_config.h
 
_

Patches currently in -mm which might be from [email-masked] are

mm-dump_page-rename-head_mapcount-head_compound_mapcount.patch
mm-gup-protect-unpin_user_pages-against-npages==-errno.patch
selftests-vm-fix-false-build-success-on-the-second-and-later-attempts.patch
selftests-vm-fix-incorrect-gcc-invocation-in-some-cases.patch
selftests-vm-8x-compaction_test-speedup.patch
mm-gup_benchmark-rename-to-mm-gup_test.patch
selftests-vm-use-a-common-gup_testh.patch
selftests-vm-rename-run_vmtests-run_vmtestssh.patch
selftests-vm-minor-cleanup-makefile-and-gup_testc.patch
selftests-vm-only-some-gup_test-items-are-really-benchmarks.patch
selftests-vm-gup_test-introduce-the-dump_pages-sub-test.patch
selftests-vm-run_vmtestsh-update-and-clean-up-gup_test-invocation.patch
selftests-vm-hmm-tests-remove-the-libhugetlbfs-dependency.patch
selftests-vm-hmm-tests-remove-the-libhugetlbfs-dependency-fix.patch